Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Strange as Fiction

Last Saturday was spent outside, working on cleaning up the yard and tending to my baby plants (the few I have). Joseph enjoyed the pillows of clover growing in the back. Sadly, he also got his first sunburn. He started out the day fully clothed; by 5:00 pm he was in nothing but his skin and covered in mud. (You know how it goes - he's a boy.) Anyhow, 3 days later and he's finally no longer saying "Ow!" when something touches his shoulder. Poor guy!


And then came Monday...Apparently, Emma laughs in the face of Mondays. Literally. Actually, she looks like this all the time. She is my little, delightful girl who always has a smile ready for Mama.
It did turn into a wonderful Monday, though. In fact, it was almost a piece of fiction how beautifully the day went. It began with Emma's sweet smile and Joseph's compliant spirit. They both became groggy mid-morning, and this is what happened:









Yup. MY children. Asleep. Together. In the same room. The living room. With ME going about my chores. If you know my children, they do not sleep "wherever", and especially not "whenever". But here they are. More of this would be super.
While they were sleeping, I whipped up some blueberry scones and beer bread. I managed to clean up the kitchen, and was just placing the warm scones on a platter as they woke up. Storybook stuff, I tell you.
Emma was put on her mat to practice a thing called "playing by myself" - which she did wonderfully. So well, in fact, that she rolled right over - from her back to her front - for the first time! And I didn't see it! (Another quirky trait my children have: accomplishing developmental milestones surreptiously.) I snapped a picture just after I found her on her tummy.






At the end of this glorious Monday, Aaron and I stood outside and watched God create a stunning moonlit sky - complete with wispy clouds floating by and the occasional bright star popping out to say hello. It was a good day.

No comments: