Monday, February 02, 2009

Emma's First Outlasting Session

Poor Emma. The "session" ended because she couldn't stay awake anymore. What caused all this? "Take a drink."

We were eating lunch and Emma signed for a drink. I handed her the sippy cup full of a raspberry-lemon fizzy drink I want her to drink. She pushed it away! A light bulb went off in my head, so I said, "Here, Emma, it's yummy. Take a drink." And she whined/screamed a bit and pushed it away. Aha! She knew what I wanted! I'm all for training a baby to have manners as long as I'm convinced they're able to do what I'm asking. And I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I've waited on this one. But I didn't wait long after that.

So, I settled comfortably into my chair, made a slight grimace toward Aaron (who said, "you're going to do it?"), and I said, "No, no, Emma, take a drink.". My voice was pleasant, but the command alone was negative enough for Emma to start crying her shrill, angry cry.

Within fifteen minutes of my relentless but oh-so-pleasant requests, she took a drink! I have gained a tiny bit of wisdom though, and I knew that only half (or less than half) the battle was over. I asked her to take another drink. :) Of course, she absolutely refused and got angry. (We also got to practice "no screaming" quite a bit!)

I think about an hour into it she gave up and took a drink. But she's tricky, and didn't actually drink, just put her lips on the spout. When I said, "No, sweetheart, you need to take a drink.", it started up again, and she refused. It's sweet raspberry-lemon for crying out loud! :) But Emma didn't want it and Emma wasn't going to have it. Period.

About 1 1/2 hours into it, she began getting really sleepy and staring at the wall. Oh no. We called a truce and she's asleep now. I imagine I'll ask her again when she wakes up, and the process will start again.

It's funny that when Joseph was around the same age as Emma is now, he learned the same lesson. It was painful for both of us. I was not quite as practiced or patient; and he was much more stubborn and passionate than Emma. It's all about principles with Joseph: he did not want me telling him what to do - it didn't matter that he was thirsty (with Emma this is just a taste preference, I think). We sat there together for 3 1/2 hours, and then he just. Changed. He took a drink when I asked him. And every time after. And despite all the 2yo things he's going through now, I smile when I notice that he has never once hesitated when I tell him to take a drink. Some things stick, I guess. :)

3 comments:

mom said...

well the bright side is i got to see my sweet beautiful emma---got to go--i am looking for my kleenex !!!



love.....meme

Kelly said...

Hehe...how did I know you would comment?

mom said...

and meme reese had to get several kleenex