Thursday, March 01, 2007

Schedules or What I've Learned (Mostly from Others) Since Being a Mama

Written to a friend:
"I was thinking about it and I know you're different from me. You might be able to handle more than I can, or like it busier than I do. Which is great. But if you're exhausted, frustrated, stressed, or wondering how you're going to get everything done, it's okay to change things. In fact, women are teaching me that to be a good steward you should.

Before you go change anything, though, it's best to actually take a look at your schedule. What you're already doing, and see if you can condense, rearrange or organize your life to make it smoother. WHich is what we did today.

I've also attached two schedules I've used since being married. One before the baby came and one after. The one after the baby came was when Joseph was about 1 month, so it's about the same time you're dealing with now. This schedule was "abbreviated" - it's not what my ideal schedule/normal routine would be. But it's what I thought was semi-realistic with what I was going through then. Although our boys' schedules may look different, it might also give you an idea of what I felt I could handle. Please know that I didn't accomplish everything on my list each day. In fact, it was rare that I did. But it was nice to see that, say, if I didn't get to mopping the kitchen floor, since it was on the schedule for next Monday, I knew I could get to it then, if I was able.

My philosophy of schedules is in the making, but has transformed into something like this: This schedule exists to give me an idea of what to expect and what to do next so that I'm being orderly and efficient. If I miss something, it's okay. If I can't do something, that's okay too. The schedule helps me to pick up after I get out of whack and helps to create order in my attempts to take care of the house and my child. "

Dear friends and family, please be sure to remind me of all this when I'm not so sane or as calm as I am today. Remind me that I (myself!) actually believe these things when I'm stressed that I can actually see dust on my mantle, or that I killed another plant by starvation, or when I have to step over the laundry to get to Joseph's room. Remind me so that I don't have a breakdown, or decide that feminists aren't so crazy after all. Remind me so that I don't only hear that I'm "prone to evil and slothful in good", but also that I'm redeemed and being transformed daily by grace. It's hard to remember, so thanks a bunch.

No comments: