Wednesday, October 11, 2006

I don't know

There, I can say it. Is that what parenthood teaches you? Is that why God happens to send small, crying creatures with the command to raise them up in His honor to us, young, fiesty, know-it-alls? Well, I think it's working. Because I say it all the time - with much more humility than the time before it.

The last week and half Joseph's been crazy! Whatever "pattern" I think I come upon dissipates in a day or so, leaving me searching desperately for a new one. I don't mind, though. Really...I'm learning to be happy with the fact that not only is he growing, wetting diapers, having bowel movements, interacting with mama and daddy, AND sleeping 12 hours through the night (big consolation) - I'm learning to trust God to give me grace.

Aaron and I have been wondering if something is wrong with Joseph. He's into this funk of being fussy at the end of feedings, going down for his nap and waking up after only 45 minutes of sleeping. Is he okay? I don't know (there it is again). We think his tummy is upset (his bowel movements have been strange). We started giving him gripe water last night. It seemed to help! He slept all the way through his morning nap earlier. But, you know, I'll keep watching. If anything very weird or alarming develops, I'll take greater measures. For now, I'll keep in mind what advice has been given to me by (now) a nurse, doctor, young mom and older mom: babies do weird things. :)

At his 2 month check up last week, Joseph weighed in at 11 pounds, 12 ounces. His head circumference was 15 1/2 inches, his lenth 22 3/4 inches. Apparently, Joseph is a perfectly "average" baby. :) And so is his personality. Neither passive nor aggressive, he doesn't hold back the wails when he's unhappy, but is so easily content that he's not inclined very often to go the trouble of crying. He reminds me so much of Aaron. I'll have to ask Ann this weekend how he was when he was a baby. :)

Oh, so you've probably figured out that Aaron and I decided to go to a pediatrician. That may be a given for many people, but we weren't sure. We don't like the idea of going to hospitals or doctors of any kind unless we're sick. We also don't like the idea of doctors telling us if our baby is healthy. We're also unsure of how we feel about immunizations and antibiotics (risks vs. benefits and such), so going to a doctor would make us a red-flag family if we refuse them. (And we don't take lightly the awful organization known as DHHS, that claims to have the right to tell you how to raise your children.) Anyway, we'd also be red-flagged if Joseph ended up needing to go the emergency room and was not in relationship with a pediatrician.

But the good outweighs the bad, in our mind. Afterall, even though we care little about how Joseph compares to other babies, Dr. Wilson (who is great, by the way) knows very well the norms for healthy infants and children. We don't (there it is, again). It's comforting to have Dr. Wilson tell me things are "okay", when I'm a worrier. And it's also nice to have a doctor who already knows Joseph's history, just in case Joseph does get sick and needs medical attention. And we have insurance now. That helps. :)

But back to Joseph. His mind is developing in a tremendous way. He not only locates objects of interest, but they're becoming very interesting to him. I bought him a Baby Einstein Activity Gym (thanks to anyone who gave us a gift card!). He loves it! He will watch the dangling rings for at least 15-20 minutes. Not only that, but he can swat at them and hit them! It's great to see him furrow his brow in concentration; aim; steady; just a little to the left; and bam! It's hit and his eyes grow wide with surprise and he jerks a bit at actually hitting the rattling ring above him. It's hilarious and fascincating at the same time. :)

Oh and he's also been using his tongue quite a bit! (See the pic at right) He sticks it out, back in, aaallll the way out, wiggles it around. He's so funny. Aaron says that he's discovered it. I wonder if that means he'll want to start licking everything in sight?

We'll be going to Tulsa this weekend so Joseph (and us!) can visit again with Aaron's family, and to meet the rest of the family for the first time - including his cousin, Jared! :) We'll take pics.

Adios! (Joseph is working on his Spanish, you know) ;)

No comments: