Friday, October 27, 2006

12 Weeks, but not 3 Months...

This past Tuesday was Joseph's 12 week mark. Officially, though, he won't be "3 months" until November 1, which is next week. Somewhere in August or September there was an extra week that has thrown him off. Developmentally, then, he'll be about 1 1/2 weeks ahead of his age, because of this. Along the same lines (sigh), this is the last post to count his age in weeks. I'll be counting his age by months (or half months), based on his birthday. For some reason, this makes me sad (albeit my own doing).

So far, the past two weeks have been my best with Joseph. He no longer fits into the newborn description of a "little blob". He's doing all sorts of things that make him look much more like a thriving infant. He plays (really plays!) with toys now. Just look at the encounter he had with a new toy (a toy ostrich). It was hilarious to watch take place. He is interacting, investigating and getting to the point where chewing everything is his new mission.

He hasn't rolled over yet. Babies are odd, sometimes. After two weekends ago, when he was kicking himself half-way over, he simply stopped. No more kicking. Not even a lot of scooting. Just stopped. Maybe all of his energy (phsyical and mental) was diverted to his language and motor skills.

I would say he's almost in the category of his mama - that of "blabbermouth". But it's much cuter on him. ;) He's most talkative right after nursing, when I'm changing his diaper or clothes and talking with him. It seems he's starting to get the gist of conversation. Well, at least the basics of "you talk, I talk, you talk, I talk". Although he does interrupt me sometimes. :) It's so cute to hear him coo and gurgle (and however else you classify baby talk). I've giggled more in the last two weeks than I have since he was born. You can't help yourself!

Yesterday, Aaron wanted me to listen to this fall's edition of St. Anne's Public House, a radio show that is published by Christ Church in Spokane, Washington. The topic was Fatherhood. The host opened the show by telling us about his 6th child, who was only "six breakfasts old". He loves babies. He said that babies are God's dessert for us. The rest of the courses may be delicious and good, but nothing is as sweet as infancy. At this point, I can see what he means. It is a delight to be with Joseph, and I certainly delight in him.

No comments: