Monday, October 17, 2011

Autumn Veggie & Rice Soup On the Fly

Unlike my great friend, Kelly Rose, I am not comfortable cooking intuitively, or on the fly. But somehow, when I do, it ends up being my tastiest meals. I'd like to re-create this soup, though, so here's the recipe (since my recipe box and cards are still packed up!).

Autumn Veggie & Rice Soup

1. Saute one large red onion in 3T olive oil over medium heat.

2. Add 3 celery stalks, 4 carrots and 1 turnip, chopped into large chunks.

3. Add 1/2 yellow bell bepper, 1/2 green bell pepper, 4 med. yellow tomatoes, chopped.

4. Add 2 cups beef broth/gravy and 2-3 cups water. Season with salt, italian seasonings, dash of cayenne, garlic powder, and a splash of white wine vinegar.

5. Simmer 1-2 hours on low or low-medium heat.

6. Add juice of 1/2 lemon, some chopped frozen or fresh spinach, 1/4-1/2 cup peas and 1 1/2 cup cooked rice. Simmer at least 45 minutes or as long as you want.

Serve with fresh parmesan cheese and perhaps a bit more salt. Substitute freely with whatever is in your cupboard, freezer or refrigerator. :)

No comments: