Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Newborn Can't-Do-Withouts

While we're at it, I might as well round off my string of postpartum posts with my own list of newborn must-haves. And no, the perfect jogging stroller is not on it.

When I think of everything you would need for a newborn, I have in my mind a picture of this tiny little person who cannot move on her own, cannot play with toys - cannot even hold a toy - and cannot venture out much due to her constant needs for feeding, changing and loving.

I mean, really, at least the first month a newborn and her caretaker are busy just existing. It's just not a time for playdates and activity gyms. Those can come later. I am thinking of those items that consume your life those first weeks; those things you use so often you could quite possibly use them while sleepwalking or spend your 2 hours of sleep at night dreaming of using them.

Newborn Necessities:

-Diapers (1 Jumbo package of size Newborn, 2 Jumbo packages of size 1 or your clean and ready-to-use cloth diapers and accessories. We use Pampers Swaddlers for the first few weeks and then switch over to Luvs once we move into size 1. I never got around to switching to cloth diapers, but have no regrets either.)

-Wipes (We've used Pampers Sensitive with all three children. Would love to have made my own, but see above.)

-Burp cloths (Which in my household means: cloth diapers! Just know that there's birdseye flatfold and then there's prefolded 3-ply. I like the birdseye since they're not bulky, but still absorbent.)

-Onesies or sleepers (Depending on the season, and be sure to grab 3 month sizes as well - they grow like Chia pets!)

-Baby hat (to keep her warm)

-1 plush, cosy blanket

-2-3 receiving blankets

-1 sheepskin rug (I want one to sleep on too.)

-Thermometer (Take baby's temp the first few days.)

-Alcohol swabs or essential oils (like lavender) for cord care.

-Small bottle of olive oil for baby's bottom (Makes cleaning the meconium - that first, tarry bowel movement - a much easier job; if you continue to use it, it will help prevent rashes as well.)

-Coconut oil (This is new to my list. Maddi had so many rolls that she began to get a rash around her neck and in her diaper area. Coconut oil is antibacterial, -fungal and - viral, which cleared it up right away. Country Comfort works really well also.)

-Burt's Bees Apricot Oil (After 4 1/2 years with 3 children, it's ingrained in my brain that this is the way a newborn smells!)

-Humidifier

-Carseat

-Swing or something else for those times you need to sit baby down.

-Pacifier (Unless you've already decided you don't want your baby to use one, grab one just in case. You might like them, you might not. Your baby may or may not like them as well. In our case, our third baby finally took one, but we haven't given it to her much, since I wanted to make sure she could nurse really well before we did. We give it to her occasionally, and plan to do so for car rides or when we're out and about and I can't plop down to nurse her.)

-Sling: Slings are awesome. Ring slings, Moby wraps, Mei Teis, they're all great. Get one (or make one) and try it. Being hands-free and luggage-free when you go out with your baby is wonderful, and makes you feel better about being out with a newborn, since she's close to you (on you!) and no stranger can cause you anxiety by planting their face inches from hers or (worse!) asking to hold her. Also great for fussy babies. Emma slept constantly in my sling while around the house, and it calmed Joseph when he had fussy moments.

-One large basket to keep these items easy to grab.


A few things NOT on the list:
-Bathing items: You don't need a special washcloth, tub or towel, although you might want them. I don't like to use any kind of soap for a while on newborns, although Aveeno and Burt's Bees make good ones.

-Lots of clothes: But really, if this were my first girl, I'd go crazy. I already have a stock of cute outfits! :)

-An assortment of strollers: We have one because it came with the carseat and we've used it once at a park. One time in a month! I'm sure we'll use it more as she gets older and we get out more.

-Crib and bedding: This is just my preference. We had a crib and bedding for our first, and he actually used it and slept there from day 3 on. My second never slept, so no bed was needed! Maddi sleeps in a small, travel-sized bassinet/pack-n-play in our room, with her sheepskin rug.

-Toys: Puh-lease. Although Maddi does have a stuffed animal. :)

-Diaper pail system: More trouble than it's worth. We just toss dirty diapers in sacks and then outside in the garage or trash can, if they're bad. But breastfed babies don't really have stinky bowel movements.

-Baby monitor: We had this with our first and it plagued my sleep! I couldn't sleep at all, afraid that blasted intercom would blare a screaming baby into my ear. I would rather have a baby in my room than have the monitor. (But I also hate alarm clocks and refuse to use them. Maybe there was too much similarity!)

-Breastpump: I would get this next time, but it's not a necessity - unless you plan to go back to work!

2 comments:

T*ny and R*se said...

Hey Kelly, this time around they told me not to use alcohol, etc on the cord stub. They mentioned some study that they said showed that it didn't really do much to speed up the drying out process and was unnecessary. That's all second-hand information though. What I do know is that I left the cord alone and we didn't have any issues

~Rose

Kelly said...

I think I've heard something like that too. What I like to have it for is after the cord falls off, and it's still bleeding a bit. I like to clean it up and make sure it doesn't get infected.

If you didn't do anything and it was fine, that pretty much tells us how necessary it is, though. :)