Monday, March 14, 2011

Lentils

I had a bag of lentils that I'd been avoiding. Thankfully, my overpowering hunger from nursing helped me get over my lack of lentil knowledge and go for it. I winged it (which is usually good for me: no overthinking) and came up with something pretty tasty.

Lentils

Saute 1 med yellow onion and 4 large cloves of garlic (both chopped/minced) in a couple tablespoons of olive oil.

Add 1 small carrot, finely chopped, 1 cup of lentils and 3 cups of liquid (I used 1 1/2 c. chicken broth and the rest water).

Add a few dashes of thyme, ground coriander, cumin and cayenne pepper. Add 2 tsp salt and some freshly ground pepper.

Simmer about 10 minutes, then add a handful of curly parsely, chopped finely. Finish cooking.

At the very end, add the juice of half a lemon. Serve with butter and rice.

I do wonder if anyone else has a better version of lentils. It could use some more flavor, I think!

2 comments:

miss sandy said...

I do a sweet version: saute the onions and garlic the same, then add lentils, 1 t cumin, 1/2 t nutmeg, 1 t ginger, and 1/2 t cloves, 1/2 cup honey or brown sugar, 1 chopped apple (or 1/2 cup apple sauce), 1 cup sliced carrots, and 1/2 cup tomato sauce/puree. It cooks in about 30 minutes. You'll probably want to add salt and cayenne :)

Kelly said...

That sounds good, Sandy! I love ginger.