Friday, April 16, 2010

Growltiger's Last Stand

I used to have cat problems in the garden at my previous house. At first, I would go outside to the front porch in the morning and smell something awful. It took several days to register that it smelled like a giant litter box mixed with dirt. Ick.

I searched and asked around and finally came up the idea to collect those gumball seeds from sweetgum trees.



Photo by Jacqueline

I spread them around every flower bed I had and my problem disappeared! If you happen to have access to them, they were lifesavers!

I've also heard you could use toothpicks (I tried that, and it's not fun to insert hundreds of toothpicks in your garden! And they're not kid-friendly - ask me how I know). Another option is to use cayenne pepper or other strong pepper, but I was nervous about it hurting my plants, or getting in my eyes when I worked in the garden.

Here are more ideas if nothing else seems to work!

P.S. If you're not familiar with T.S. Eliot, he's great.

No comments: