Saturday, March 29, 2008

Two Stories

Sadly, these are not parables. Sorry, Kelly. :)

This past Wednesday, it was beautiful outside. Spring had arrived! Joseph, Emma and I were playing in the front yard, enjoying the weather before Aaron came home from work. A robin landed in our front yard and I pointed to it and said, "Do you see the bird, Joseph?". Of course, this was confusing for the poor boy, who knew that birds were mobile creatures only found in the sky.

I pointed again, and this time he saw her. He looked at me, and I told him to go get the bird. And, with a huge grin, he took off. The bird hopped away a few feet. Joseph stopped, looked at me, and then followed the bird. Robin hopped again. Joseph laughed and chased her. This went on another couple of times. It was really amusing to watch.

Finally, Robin was beginning to feel too threatened and, as Joseph was in pursuit, she flew up into the tree across the street. Joseph had seen a miracle of God.

This bird flew.

She went from the ground to the sky to the tall tree. His jaw dropped and he turned on his heels to gasp at me with a wide-open, awe-struck smile. He pointed excitedly and screamed "BIRD!!". He couldn't believe it! I'm sure he was thinking that flying is the bestest and most amazing thing in the whole world.

I remember thinking the same thing. Funny that I ever stopped...

And then yesterday, my dear, sweet, perceptive child was playing in the living room while I was being productive (cough, cough) on the computer. Since I had my back to him, I turned around to check on him.

I saw the cutest scene: my son, sitting in a chair with his little, pudgy legs dangling in front of him, reading a book on his lap. I grabbed the camera. But sneaking was important, because I knew that if he saw or heard the shiny, electronic gadget, he'd want to get down to come investigate. Thankfully, it was already on the desk where I was sitting; but I still had to open it. And we all know that as a camera lens comes out it make that great sound. So, I discreetly coughed to cover up the noise. I glanced over my shoulder and he was still reading, so I began getting the camera ready, when I heard:

"Chiiiis! Chiiiis!"

The boy had heard. More than that, he knew I was about to take a picture. And more than that, he knew to say "cheese!". Who taught him to say "cheese"?


No comments: