Thursday, February 14, 2008

Martin Luther on Motherhood

Taken from one of his sermons on the Estate of Marriage:

"Now observe that when that clever harlot, our natural reason... , takes a
look at married life, she turns up her nose and says, "Alas, must I rock the
baby, wash its diapers, make its bed, smell its stench, stay up nights with
it,
take care of it when it cries, heal its rashes and sores... ?

What then does Christian faith say to this? It opens its eyes, looks upon all
these
insignificant, distasteful, and despised duties in the Spirit, and is
aware that
they are all adorned with divine approval as with the costliest
gold and jewels.
It says, O God, because I am certain that thou hast created
me as a man and hast
from my body begotten this child, I also know for a
certainty that it meets with
thy perfect pleasure. I confess to thee that I
am not worthy to rock the little
babe or wash its diapers, or to be
entrusted with the care of the child and its
mother. How is it that I,
without any merit, have come to this distinction of
being certain that I am
serving thy creature and thy most precious will? O how
gladly will I do so,
though the duties should be even more insignificant and
despised. Neither
frost nor heat, neither drudgery nor labor, will distress or
dissuade me,
for I am certain that it is thus pleasing in thy sight...

God, with all his angels and creatures is smiling--not because the father is
washing
diapers, but because he is doing so in Christian faith."

Who says that now? Quite the contrary, I find that I am tempted to consider myself a martyr for being a mother. But a privilege? An honor? Something I'm not even worthy to partake of? Now that's another perspective altogether. Ultimately, it comes down to humility. Do I think too much of myself to undertake a task that does not gain great glory for myself, and, in addition, requires sacrifices of convenience and self-indulgence? Yes, most of the time I do. Mothers need to hear that in all things we are to be like Christ.

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death— even death on a cross! " Phil. 2: 5-8

No comments: