Sunday, June 26, 2011

4 Months

Maddi's fourth month has been a standout month for our family. We finished fixing up the house, put it on the market, got a contract, and sold it. We moved all of our belongings here to Tulsa, Joseph got his first bee sting at the park, Emma became officially potty-trained, and we generally lived in stressful, exciting upheaval.

While we were sprinting around, Maddi decided to check some things off her baby to do list.

Two and a half weeks ago, her aim sharpened, her grip tightened and she was able to grab and play with objects for the first time. This is a big one for mamas, since that means I can add 5 more minutes to the time she can play by herself. I appreciate it.

Two weeks ago she started scooching on her back. We were packing in OKC and I found her under our guest bed! She's an excellent scoocher.

One and a half weeks ago, she started sucking her thumb! She now goes to sleep sucking her thumb, although she still cries and yells a bit to get it out.

One week ago, she said "ba!". She wasn't being sardonic (not Maddi!), but discovered a new consonant. Aaron wants me to work on her d's, but I know he has an ulterior motive.

Five days ago, she cut her first tooth. Right smack on her bottom gum, it popped out. I cried. Give me more time, Maddi! is what I say to her. But no, she's moving on. Without me.

And just now, as I sit here at home, while the rest of the family is at church, Maddi rolled over! I'm not sure I can take all this change. But yes, the sweet girl was screaming in her crib, which is unlike her, and I found her on her back like an abandoned turtle.

She is really pressing on, so I suppose I should catch up with her. But I'm way back in March, when my precious newborn was learning to coo. I still contend that time is not where I'm from, or it wouldn't feel so awkward when I put it on.

No comments: