Wednesday, June 23, 2010

How to Deal with Morning Sickness

[Necessary Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, or a midwife, or any kind of medical practitioner. This is just my own opinion. Do your own due diligence, please!]

Know the feeling of waking up and the first thing you become aware of is wanting to throw up?

Some people believe that morning sickness is the feeling women have when their liver is overwhelmed in early pregnancy by the huge increase in estrogen, the exponentially increasing presence of the hcg (pregnancy) hormone, and the toxins being released while the fetus is being implanted.

If it is liver-related, some of the best things you can do is to prepare your liver for the onslaught. "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure." Or something.

If you are trying to conceive, why not do a liver cleanse? Make sure you're eating well, and consuming lots of liver supporting foods.

If you're already pregnant, consider taking dandelion root or milkthistle. I'm taking dandelion root right now. I'm sitting at 9 weeks pregnant, and have found this dosage to be helpful: 2pills in the morning, 1 at lunch, 1 at dinner, 1 right before bed.

Now let's do symptom control. I'm having the hardest time this pregnancy. It's hard to find any food or drink that doesn't make my stomach turn, but here's what I've found helpful (consumed whenever my body decides it's okay):
-Lemon water (fresh water with a good squeeze of real lemon juice - you could also try seltzer water)
-Kombucha (if you can handle it - try diluting it)
-Raw milk (find a source here) (and if you're skeptical, take a look at this)
-Homemade chicken broth with a pinch of celtic sea salt(roast a chicken, put the carcasse in a pot, fill with water and simmer for 12-24 hours - or have someone else do it!)
-My favorite: sip on old-fashioned, lacto-fermented pickle juice

When I keep myself full of liquids (esp. these liquids), I feel much better. The trick, of course, is to get over the queasiness enough to drink them. Catch 22, eh?

Also, if like me, you're having trouble eating enough so that you end up feeling sick from not eating (another catch 22...), a friend suggested I set the clock and drink something every 1/2 hour and eat something with fat in it every hour. Not something big, but something. If you're hungry or thirsty, you're body is already reacting to the loss of liquid or nutrients - meaning, you're too late. Stay ahead of the game to feel better!

No comments: